In this blog you will find updates about where I am and what I'm doing. Also you will find in this blog everything about me and my windsurf career..

Wednesday, February 18, 2009


`Four season’s, Five day‘s,

One of the say’s from the Irish people is “ if don’t like the weather, just wait a minute”
Hehehhe really truth.

This road trip been standing for a while on my list and so I been following the weather time by time to get it done.

It seemed that everything would fell on his place as a new Low came over along the south side off Ireland and swell was already there.
As a Semi Professional I’m pretty easy in planning and doing trips, but to arrange a photographer is hard.
As it is usually last minute…
Non of the photographers had time so I asked my friend Torben and he had time. I rent for the five days a 400mm canon lens.
Flight/ car/ house/ camera/ house arranged in one day.

Next morning early in minus 2 degrees we were on the road up to Dusseldorf/ Weeze to catch there Ryanair flight at 8 o’clock.
Check in was now problem and 1/5 hour later we were in Shannon airport. There after some problems with fixing the car we were on the road, time was or animy as it was 12 o‘clock. In 13 degrees and rain we drove up to Inch SW off Ireland, good friend and sponsor told me to go there as the forecast should be perfect for there. 2.5 hours later we were standing on the beach there.
The perfect forecast for there should be and was South/ East wind with big Swell.
Swell was there but the wind seemed to be on off and soft. After driving on to the beach al the way to the point and waiting there 30 min we called it a no go. As fast as possible we drove to Brandonbay were we rented or sleeping place and what should be the ride place for tomorrow.
Once there at 4 o’clock we saw perfect conditions at Dumps with strong side/offshore wind and 2till 3m hollow waves. I rigged up my 4.7 and twinzer and went out.

First wave seemed and later for sure could say that it was one off the bigger waves of that day. The wave tuned into a full hollow wave what was breaking towards me.
I went full down the line to get speed and turn up to the lip, only the wave was faster there than I planned, so I hit the lip or the lip hit me and went over the falls and landed with my back on the boom. By the time I was above I saw that my boom was broken. All those hours travelling seemed not working in my way..

I borrowed the boom of Torben and went out again, only now the wind was slowly getting less.
I catch a few waves but the it seemed I was not on the ride place as the wave weren’t hollow anymore and together with the dieing wind it was not getting easier. That was day One..

That eave we eat by a local bar were we saw the weather forecast for the next day what looked promising, so with a nice small nap drink we called it a day.

Next morning we were ready for take of, only there was missing one important ingredient ’ wind”.
It seemed the wind was gone with the wind.. The Low pressure past us faster than planned.

We catch a bit of surf in 13 degrees warm sun shine weather and were praying for a good forecast for the rest of the day’s..

On Saturday we made a small hike on Gerry Williams were we saw some pretty big waves breaking , we went home I catch my short board and drove back there… It was already a adventure to get there on the point, walking over bumpy rocks dive in the water from the rocks, paddling around the point to the break were it was breaking 4/5m high in front of the rocks full hollow.
We were there with 4 of us. In the beginning I was for sure a bit scared as the wave was from flat to breaking point just in 2 seconds… On die end I took 2 wave were the last wave was really on shallow water..

In the eave we saw the new forecast and for sure we would not get a Low on time anymore as the High pressure pushed east wind along France England towards Ireland. So or guess was to go the south coast to get there some bump and jump.
Next morning back on the road towards Cork 2.5/ 3 hours away . Once there we wanted to go a beach with the ride angle on the wind so we ….. A beach at the end of a big bay. From normal road we drove into a smaller road that changed into a one way direction size into a dirt road and by the time we had the feeling we were getting close the road kind of stopped. I walked to a farmer and asked him about the beach. He looked at me like ‘what kind a stranger is this’ he told there is only a cliff and on the bottom a small beach. So that was a no go.
My backup plan was a land point what curfe into a bay, only I was a bit sceptic if there would be any swell..
It took us 3 quarters and so by the time we were there nigh became or animy as it was already 3.30.

By the bay we saw perfect 1/ 5breaking waves with a strong starboard tack east wind.
So for now or mission was already for 50% succeed, we check if we could launch some were as there were some rocks and hills around. As soon we step out of the car we really felt the temperature dropped to a cold 3 degrees, with 3 hours drive that didn’t felt comfortable. We had to go as it was or last day of any wind.
We rig 4.7 as I seemed to be again windy.
I went as first out and that was straight a struck as the was really gusty of the rocks.. On die end I mannish to get out and catch a wave, but was straight struck ling again to come out. I picked up another wave what turn into one of the biggest waves of the day, I tuned my self for a aerial and this time I hit ride, the wave smacked me up in the air were is was hanging for a while, on the way down I saw I was getting just halve way into the white water, but I mannish to hold during the landing. That was it I had my shot and my hands were freezing. I de’ rigt and went straight into the car to warm up.. The drive back was pretty hard as the cold and the earlier drive to my energy..

Next day we relaxed a bit and done or side seen .

That night around 2 o’clock we hit the road up to the airport during the trip the temperature dropped from 3 till minus and lucky we made it as It was snowing too.

See U out there,

The Lamp

No comments:

Biografie Martin ten Hoeve

Biografie Martin ten Hoeve
Picture a sunny day in 1988, a seventies windsurfboard, a red old fashioned triangle sail and a little eastern breeze at the beach of Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands...the ideal ingredients to learn windsurfing!

That’s how it all started for me. Every Summer me and my family spent our holidays at the beach where we have a little caravan. My friends and I started windsurfing and my passion was born! In those years my nickname was Flow: all the other windsurfers couldn’t surf with just a little breeze while I ‘ cause of my age and weight was flowing around the water like a mad man! At a certain moment I realized that I wanted to make more out of windsurfing than just a hobby. So when I turned 16 I bought a motorbike so I could go surfing whenever I wanted in Wijk aan Zee, a kick ass surfspot just 15 km away from home.

In the Winter 2000/2001 I made my first surftrip to South Africa, I stayed there for three months. Because of the fantastic weather conditions; steady wind all the time my surfskills grew very much. Nowadays I make this trip every year, I work as a furniture specialist to finance the trips.

In the Summer of 2003 my first sponsor deal came along with Van Someren Consultancy, an enterprise that’s specialized in groundwater research.
In the same year I started to enter big surfing competitions, my first victory was in 2004: I won the Naish Wave Challenge that was held in my favourite homespot with my dearest friends and family to support me. I was one of the only amateurs that entered the competition, so it was quite an achievement.

During Wintertime I went to South Africa again to improve my skills and to get ready for the competition season in Summer of 2005.
My first Worldcup competition was in May in Pozo (Gran Canaria) in Spain. Because of my good results I was about to get a wildcard to enter the main event. When I finally got to Pozo after a tiring trip the organisation told me that the only way to get a wildcard was by winning the pre rounds. So I entered the pre rounds and I won! I entered the main event and was very impressed by the level the surfers had. Also I was amazed by the fact that I could surf along with those professionals without being a lot less than them.

2006 was a exciting year where I came 25de during the PWA event in Pozo Gran Ganaria. Later that year I became vice champion by beating Peter Volwater in the final off the Dutch Champion ships, due to my overall impression and strong jumping skills that charmed the jury at that time.

In 2007 new sponsor deals came up and I signed a contract by Fanatic and North Sails.
I worked hard to improve my skills but most important I wanted to learn to be a good overall sailor. I got the change to enter the slalom discipline at world cup events.
I performed pretty well and I did like it, although I never felt like this was my cup of tea.

I decided to put full attention and focus on the Wave that made my heart beat faster. I wanted to improve my surfing skills, prepare mentally and put more effort into training.

In 2009 everything came together and fell in the right place. I was invited to the PWA competition in Cape Verde in Western Africa to surf with the world top 32 wave sailors.
Later that year I beat Jason Polakow in a heat on the famous windsurf Island Sylt in Germany. I felt super strong and I achieved the 17th Place.

2010 Really started off well by signing a sponsor deal with Mistral boards and Aeron booms. Together with the sponsors that I could rely on for many years I feel very confident to perform well in competitions and find the well known flow again.

Face your fears life your dreams.

The Lamp