In this blog you will find updates about where I am and what I'm doing. Also you will find in this blog everything about me and my windsurf career..

Friday, October 26, 2007

Holland, Denmark and Scotland

On the Road between Holland, DK and Scotland..

This month felt good after being the whole month on the road to different events and countries..
At the beginning of this month I started to travel to Sylt where I managed in a PWA contest to pass Peter V. in the first round again. During that week there had not been enough wind to finish the Men wave as well..!!

One week before that I went to Denmark to the NSP [Soulwave] contest where I became 5th because the wind wasn't strong enough for me during those contest days..

After Sylt I drove back to Holland where I relaxed for two days and continued my travelling to Scotland together with Peter and Kevin M. Here I was going to have a PWA wave event in Tiree..

We flew from Amsterdam to Glasgow [Preswick]. We made a mistake by place or better said the airport fooled us by putting Preswick in small letters behind the name Glasgow.. Preswick is 1 hour from the real Glasgow airport where our van was standing.. Luckily enough the organisation gave us a lift to the other airport where we picked up the van and continued the road after a dinner and small party in Glasgow. We catched the ferry at 6 in the morning, after a two hour drive through the night . On the ferry we finally could have some sleep [3hours]..

Later that day after a bit of chilling we went for a windsurf session with side on shore wind from the left and 1.5 m waves breaking properly.. We all sailed in the beginning like crap: those 3 hours weren't enough. During the session we found our rhythm again and on the end we all pulled some nice tricks out of the shoe box. One trick was a really nice tweaked pushloop. Lucky Carter was still there shooting pictures and managed to make a nice pic from it.. I was and still am really stoked with the picture..

The event started with no wind on the first day and marked the whole week with this.
Each day the forecast promised good conditions in two days, but that moved each day again..

Together with Josh, Levi, the Jensen brothers and Peter we spent our time by chilling, chatting and playing table tennis. We even did some puzzles so we ended up having a really nice time in our cosy house..

At the beginning of the week many sailors had the flu including myself. So luckily enough there was no wind during those days..

After we had been surfing almost each day we finally catched some really light wind on the last day..
There was offshore wind with perfect 1.5, 2 and later 2.5 meters waves.. The waves came in sets which took sometimes pretty long before they rolled in.. With my 5.9 Duke and Allwave 92 it was still a struggle ..
During the free sail after a while I got in the rhythm and in one of the waves I almost managed to stick an air taka in front of the wave.. The film crew filmed it and I will get the video later this month..

Then my first heat started that suddenly didn't feel right anymore.. I had troubles to catch waves and those I took weren't long and high enough.. One minute before the end I managed to catch a good wave but how unlucky I was! My competitor was also on this wave 10 or 15m higher above me.. So my best wave which the judges didn’t count ended up in the trashcan .. This was a very hard way to learn this lesson for me!!!
The PWA pushed it through till they made a top sixteen result.. Kauli became world champion which he really deserved….

The next morning Peter and I went for a last amazing surf session along with a nice hangover from the wild night before .. Cold and done we stepped in the car and ended almost too late on the ferry back to Oban.. By the time we came in Preswick the rain poured down. This could be a big problem because we still had to pack our sailing bags.
Creativity is one of those things that I really like on those kind of moments. Kevin thought it was impossible to find a place to pack the gear.. After a bit of driving around we found an under-cover car park in an industrial area. There we packed our gear and we even got a coffee from some people.. Luck was on our side and continued to be, when the check in desk lady didn’t make us pay for our too heavy bags. Or was it our charm…. We went straight to the bar where we catched a few drinks and ended up almost too late on the plane.. There we burst out in laughing..

After one day at home the Jaegermeister bus and the campers were already spinning their engines warm for a road trip to Denmark..
This bus is really the bomb. With 80 km warp speed we drove during the whole night up to Hvide Sande, where we arrived in the morning with a broken body.
The cold wind from the NW didn’t bring a nice feeling.. Conditions looked good but we all first needed an hour sleep before we would dive in the cold conditions..

The forecast promised that this was the day of action as the high depression would not bring good things later the week.. It would be just too strong..

After the one hour sleep we all were ready for some action… NOT..
We started with the jump part that was not that brilliant as only Kevin and Thomas were able to pull some nice backloops out of the sleeve .. I had one but I was not that proud of it..
After the lunch break we continued with wave riding which was much better with the turned side shore wind.
After we finished the competition we continued with some free sailing..

The next day we drove up to Klittmoller where we managed to catch some wind the next day, which was nothing more than a nice free sail as the conditions were not that good.. Later that night we drove back to the South where the trip ended in a really big party boat full of ladies..

The next day we drove with the 80 km warp speed slowly back to Holland..

The trip was really nice. Only we were a bit unlucky with the conditions… Here the trip ended for me.. I still have the Dutch wave and slalom championships to go and than this season will be finished..

I became third for now at this competition. Check http://www.waveriderz.tv/ for full report about the Jagermeiser trip and to vote for me when they will start that..

See you out there,
The Lamp

No comments:

Biografie Martin ten Hoeve

Biografie Martin ten Hoeve
Picture a sunny day in 1988, a seventies windsurfboard, a red old fashioned triangle sail and a little eastern breeze at the beach of Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands...the ideal ingredients to learn windsurfing!

That’s how it all started for me. Every Summer me and my family spent our holidays at the beach where we have a little caravan. My friends and I started windsurfing and my passion was born! In those years my nickname was Flow: all the other windsurfers couldn’t surf with just a little breeze while I ‘ cause of my age and weight was flowing around the water like a mad man! At a certain moment I realized that I wanted to make more out of windsurfing than just a hobby. So when I turned 16 I bought a motorbike so I could go surfing whenever I wanted in Wijk aan Zee, a kick ass surfspot just 15 km away from home.

In the Winter 2000/2001 I made my first surftrip to South Africa, I stayed there for three months. Because of the fantastic weather conditions; steady wind all the time my surfskills grew very much. Nowadays I make this trip every year, I work as a furniture specialist to finance the trips.

In the Summer of 2003 my first sponsor deal came along with Van Someren Consultancy, an enterprise that’s specialized in groundwater research.
In the same year I started to enter big surfing competitions, my first victory was in 2004: I won the Naish Wave Challenge that was held in my favourite homespot with my dearest friends and family to support me. I was one of the only amateurs that entered the competition, so it was quite an achievement.

During Wintertime I went to South Africa again to improve my skills and to get ready for the competition season in Summer of 2005.
My first Worldcup competition was in May in Pozo (Gran Canaria) in Spain. Because of my good results I was about to get a wildcard to enter the main event. When I finally got to Pozo after a tiring trip the organisation told me that the only way to get a wildcard was by winning the pre rounds. So I entered the pre rounds and I won! I entered the main event and was very impressed by the level the surfers had. Also I was amazed by the fact that I could surf along with those professionals without being a lot less than them.

2006 was a exciting year where I came 25de during the PWA event in Pozo Gran Ganaria. Later that year I became vice champion by beating Peter Volwater in the final off the Dutch Champion ships, due to my overall impression and strong jumping skills that charmed the jury at that time.

In 2007 new sponsor deals came up and I signed a contract by Fanatic and North Sails.
I worked hard to improve my skills but most important I wanted to learn to be a good overall sailor. I got the change to enter the slalom discipline at world cup events.
I performed pretty well and I did like it, although I never felt like this was my cup of tea.

I decided to put full attention and focus on the Wave that made my heart beat faster. I wanted to improve my surfing skills, prepare mentally and put more effort into training.

In 2009 everything came together and fell in the right place. I was invited to the PWA competition in Cape Verde in Western Africa to surf with the world top 32 wave sailors.
Later that year I beat Jason Polakow in a heat on the famous windsurf Island Sylt in Germany. I felt super strong and I achieved the 17th Place.

2010 Really started off well by signing a sponsor deal with Mistral boards and Aeron booms. Together with the sponsors that I could rely on for many years I feel very confident to perform well in competitions and find the well known flow again.

Face your fears life your dreams.

The Lamp